Thursday 9 May 2013

Getting Ready for the off......

So to bring the story upto date.
With the Puck safely on the drive the wheels were whipped off and the tyres changed for mini size caravan duty tyres, as it was going anywhere on the disintigrating smaller pair that were on.
A quick assessment then produced a list of jobs which were split into two, those which were needed before we camped and those which were needed probably over the winter.
Immediate:
Hubs & Brakes - It was patently obvious that that the parking / overrun brakes were, how to put it politely, crap!
Wiring - The 12v system was designed to be run from an external battery through the car 12n lead with no on board battery, and the condition of the lead was doubful
Mains - Original french design of hook up and socket, it came with adapters which at least allowed me to test it but it was a piece of originality I felt I could live without.
Gas - desribed as needing servicing, new hose & regulator soon sorted that.
Fridge - Did it work and was it safe
Poptop - needed cleaning & patching

Later
Poptop canvas  - replacing ( the original guy who sold them through ebay tragically passed away late last year, I have since found an alternative, more later)
Upholstery - It is original It may get overcovered to preserve it as we did on the camper.
Body seals - Should be a pretty bright red rather than black / grey through age so new ones required
Front window - Needs replacing, Original ones are as rare as hens teeth but I have a couple of leads on people who may be able to make me a copy
Body - I was thinking of having it sprayed to match the camper, but I am not now sure.

We are going to Normandy with the camper at the end of May and thought that it would be good to take the Puck back to the land of its berth so the pressure is on.

I took the view that with my time limited I would get my local caravan service man, Laurie, who looks after my modern 2 wheeled white box, to at least do the running gear, gas and 12volt. I checked the fridge in situ and it works on mains and gas, whether it is safe I await Laurie's verdict.

So far he has done the brakes which now function, and rewired the 12v which was a complete spiders web of different coloured wiring, and I have uprated the wiring on the camper towbar and fitted a new split charge relay to allow me power the fridge on 12 volt when towing.

I am promised the Puck back by the weekend... we will see!

No comments:

Post a Comment