Tuesday 14 May 2013

The Caravan Club

Or this could be entitled "rules are rules!"
I have been a member of the Caravan Club for over 25 years as I also have the conventional white box on wheels. I have always accepted that it is a bit pipe & carpet slippers and hidebound by rules, but the the sites are spotless and the pitches generous so I kind of put up with it.
This year they have got even more draconian in the pitching rules on where you put the van to meet fire "regulations" So with the impending arrival of the Puck I thought I would ask head office if my proposed pitching arrangement of camper reversed at right angles to the Puck which is at the back of the pitch with the campers driveaway awning attached to the puck giving a nice square rig which does not affect any fire breaks between pitches, the dreaded 3 & 6 metre rules, and ironically is narrower than if I attched the awning to the camper
Well that lead to several e mail exchanges and ultimately a phone conversation with the UK sites manager, which was err "interesting". He initially claimed that fire regulations stipulate that there has to be a 6 metre space between units and that the camper and the Puck were seperate units (only the Caravan Club have this interpretation of a unit) therefore it wasn't allowed, he corrected himself by saying that it wasn't regulations merely "Best Practice Guidelines" which I knew.
Having spent my career doing risk assessments I pointed out the blindingly obvious that from a fire safety point of view surely two people in seperate enclosed tin boxes were safer from  a fire spread point of view on a pitch than 1 person in a tin box and 1 in either an attached unprotected flammable awning or an adjacent tent on the same pitch both of which are allowed in the rules. He acknowledged that the rule didn't appear to make make sense but that was it, and I got a lecture about the importance of fire breaks between pitches which I fully agree with but was irrelevant to my request. I was further told that rules were all checked through and agreed to by committees of members and health and safety experts and could not be changed at will, so basically tough!
The response from the Caravan & Camping Club was as long as I only cook in one unit there shouldn't be a problem, and as I don't cook in the camper, as I dont like it smelling like a take away  that is definately not a problem!
So guess which organisation will be getting my business going forward

No comments:

Post a Comment